Jolyon C. Gray
I wish to serve in a position that allows me to utilize my knowledge and technical experience while pursuing a greater mastery of my fields of interest – principally instructional technology, information systems and web publications.
- Operating Systems
Proficiency with Microsoft Windows operating systems (3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista) and Mac OS 7.1 through OS X 10.5.7. Moderate experience with Novell Open Enterprise Server, Ubuntu, Redhat and Mandrake Linux and SunOS 5.6.
Skilled in setup and maintenance of any size peer TCP/IP network. Familiar with Ascend (Lucent), Linksys and Netgear families of access routers. Proficient in client-side configuration of Internet and network connections. ConsoleOne and iManager configuration and maintenance of Novell networks.
- Other software
Use applications and software suites including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Open Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Pagemaker, QuarkXPress.
- Customer Service
Several years of experience- end user technical support and reseller support positions, and assisting patrons at Hodges Library reference desk.
Supervision of coworkers, including such duties as scheduling, employee performance evaluations, training, summarization of works in progress for interdepartmental communications.
- Managed a systemic analysis of College of Law departments’ utilization of technology in order to ensure that resources and services were efficiently applied.
- Initiated comprehensive assessment of serials holdings at reference department of Hodges Library at the University of Tennessee to allow student workers greater efficiency in the dispensation of those holdings, and in communicating the status of particular holdings to other departments.
- Progressed from a trainee position in the technical support department at US Internet to supervising a crew of 26 in the transitions/acquisitions department in less than one year.
- Began pursuing commercial web development and network administration on a freelance basis in 1997. Formed a general partnership in mid-1998 with three colleagues that specialized in web and multimedia development.
- Acted as a consultant and network administrator for Book Warehouse: computerized their inventory, installed new office software, trained store staff to use the new software, and upgraded obsolete PCs when necessary.
- Worked in IS department for CTI (Computer Technologies and Imaging, Inc.) performing upgrades, troubleshooting, and providing on-site PC training in Windows 95, as well as performing network maintenance. Aided in migration to a 200-unit 10base-T/100base-TX network.
- October 2006 – present: University of Tennessee College of Law – Senior IT Technologist I
Full spectrum of IT services for college students, faculty and staff – user support, network administration, hardware installation and maintenance, etc.
- January 2006 – October 2006: University of Tennessee, Office of Information Technology – TCS
End-user application and network connectivity support for university students, staff and faculty.
- May 2005 – December 2005: University of Tennessee, Hodges Library Government Documents
Perform technical processing of government depository documents.
- January 2005 – May 2005: University Libraries Outreach – Practicum Student.
Assisted in development and publication of press releases, websites and internal documents for the libraries’ Outreach department.
- October 2001 – December 2005: University of Tennessee, Hodges Library Reference- Library Specialist. Part-time.
Assist patrons at reference desk and work as collections assistant. Communicate with supervisor and other departments to resolve holdings problems. Prepare materials to be sent to commercial bindery.
- Mid-1998 to Mid-2001: The WonderFactory
Web developer and principal liaison between clients and development team.
- Apr 1998 to May 1999: U.S. Internet
End User Technical Support, Supervisor of Technical Support Staff, Supervisor of Transitions/Acquisitions Department
- 1995 – 1998: Independent Consultant
website design and small office network installation
- 1996 – 1997: Computer Technologies and Imaging, Inc.
Bachelor of Science in Communications, magna cum laude, August 2005
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Coursework included Advanced Editing, Magazine and Feature Writing and Web Publishing.
Master of Science in Instructional Technology, December 2009
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN